1 cup Goan rice (heap full)
¾ cup whole green moong dal or Chana dal
1 cup grated coconut (heap full)
220gms palm jaggery (pyramid)
2-3 turmeric leaves (optional)
8 cardamom seeds crushed
Salt to taste
*** Instead of moong you can also use Chana dal.
*** You can also cook this by using coconut milk.
***If you are making Godshe / Godshem use the ground coconut in water (3 pulse)
*** Atol can be made with both ground coconut with water or Coconut milk.
1. Soak rice and moong dal and keep for 2 hours.
2. Add the soaked rice, dal and salt into a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles with enough water (I used 4 cups of water).
3. Once the steam is released open the pot.
4. Grind the grated coconut with equal amount of water (1 cup) and add to the pot.
or if you are using coconut milk then add now.
5. Tie a knot of the turmeric leaves and add to the pot.
6. Place the pot on medium heat.
7. Add jaggery, cardamom powder and pinch of salt.
8. Stirring occasionally so it won’t stick to the bottom.
9. One its semi thick your Goenche Godshe is ready this is also called Chirgyam Godshem / Mugache Godshe.
10. This can be served in a bowl with a spoon.
11. To make Atol continue cooking till the consistency is thick but not too thick.
12. Once ready pour atol into trays/ plates and let it sit at room temperature for a while to set.
13. Serve this with a cup of tea.
14. Excess can be kept in the refrigerator for next day or two.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.