Portuguese Fish Stew
800 – 900gms Haddock fillet / White pomfret
250gms medium prawns
1 ½ cup of prawn stock (check Pre-preparation section below)
½ cup of dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio Veneto)
¼ cup olive oil
2-3 large onion sliced
2 Large potatoes sliced (½ cm thick)
2 green capsicum cut into thick strips
2 large tomatoes sliced
4-5 cloves of garlic crushed
1” inch ginger cut into strips
2-3 green chilies (mild) chopped ( if spicy use 1 or 2)
4 sprigs of coriander leaves
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
1. Clean and devein the prawns.
2. Cut the fish fillet into 3 – 3 ½ inch size.
3. Apply salt to both fish and prawns; set aside
4. Use the head of the prawns for stock.
5. Boil the prawn head with 2 cups of water and add salt and pepper and reduce to 1 ½ cup. Set the stock aside for later use.
5. Cut all the vegetables and keep ready (potatoes, tomatoes, onion, capsicum, ginger and garlic).
6. Clean the coriander sprigs and just use the leaves.
1. Take a deep pan and start laying the vegetables starting with onion followed by potatoes and capsicum (Use only half the quantity of each).
2. Now add the fish and prawns.
3. Repeat the layers of vegetables and sprinkle turmeric.
4. Add the chilies, bay leaf, ginger and garlic.
5. Now to this add the stock, wine and olive oil.
6. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
7. Cover and cook on very low flame for 30 -35 minute.
8. Open the lid once after 15 minutes and check salt to taste.
9. Once the potatoes are cooked you Caldeirada is done.
10. Serve your Caldeirada de peixe with toasted bread or rice.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.
** Caldeirada is like a stew so it’s up to you how you prefer it (use 1 cup of stock or 1 ½ cup).
**To make Caldeirada you can also use Sea bass, Sword fish, Ray fish, Monk fish, Cod, Mackerels, Sardines, white Pomfret, Tuna, Squids, Mussels and Clams.
** The stew will have a nice light saffron color.
** If you don’t have wine then use 2 tablespoon of vinegar and increase the quantity of stock.