Goan Salted Mackerel Curry
2 large challa bangde (salt dried Mackerel)
Masala to grind:
1 small freshly grated coconut (90 gms)
6 Kashmiri chilies
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Water as required (little).
*** If you don’t get the required colour with the chilies you are using then just deseed 2/3 more chilies and add to the masala while grinding.
1-2 slit chilies
Soak a small bowl of tamarind in 90ml warm water
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 ½ cup water to clean the masala from the mixer / food processor.
1. Clean the salt from the mackerel under running water.
2. Soak the mackerel in cold water for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
3. Clean and cut the mackerels ( the top yellowish skin will come out)
4. Soak the cut pieces for another 30 -45 minutes.
1. Grind the masala to a smooth paste.
2. Now add the ground masala to the pot. Start the heat on medium.
3. By using 1 ½ – 2 cup water clean the remaining masala from the mixer and add that to the pot.
4. Let the curry come to a rolling boil.
5. Add the mackerel pieces and tamarind water.
6. After 3 minutes add kokum, sugar and slit chilies to the Goan Mackerel curry.
7. Cook till the mackerel is done.
8. Consistency of the mackerel curry should be medium (not too watery nor too thick) add water if required .
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.
***No salt is required in this curry.