Make coconut oil at home in less than 24 hours. You can use this in cooking your Goan Recipes. No more drying the coconut flesh for days or taking it to the Oil Mill (Tela Ghanno).
2 Freshly grated coconut (340gms approx.)
6 cups warm water
1. Add the grated coconut with 3 cups warm water and grind to extract coconut milk.
2. Once extracted add another 2 cups of warm water and grind again to extract more coconut milk.
3. Repeat this process for the last time with 1 cup of warm water.
4. Cover and place the coconut milk in a cool place (refrigerator or outside it the temperature is cool at home) for overnight or 16-18 hours.
5. During this time the coconut cream separated from the water and floats on top.
6. This forms into a hard cake on the surface.
7. Take a deep pan / kadai and with a slotted spoon remove the top cream and put into the pan / kadai.
8. Add one tablespoon of the coconut water so that the cream won’t get burnt and the cooking process can start.
9. Keep the flame on low and start cooking the coconut cream.
10. After a while it will dissolve and become milky.
11. Take a wooden spoon and keep stirring slowly.
12. After 20 minutes you will see oil separating from the cream.
13. Keep cooking till the cream turns hard and becomes caramel brown (takes about 40-50 minutes depending on the flame size).
14. Now strain the oil with a strainer lined with cheesecloth / muslin cloth
15. After it gets cool pour it into a bottle or jar and store.
16. After about a day the oil with start to solidify.
17. You can store it at room temperature.
18. Total yield was little above 150ml.
19. Use as and when required.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.