2 Large Bunch of tambdi bhaji / red spinach
2 medium onion chopped
3-4 chillies finely chopped
4 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
2 crushed garlic (optional)
2 tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Pinch of sugar
Water as required
Salt to taste.
1. Wash the bhaji under running water this will wash away the sand and dirt.
2. Pluck the leaves and tender stems
3. Wash again
4. Chop the bhaji and set aside.
1. Add coconut oil to a kadai / pot to this add the crushed garlic and fry for a while.
2. Now add the onions followed by chillies and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
3. Add turmeric powder and set the gas of low flame.
4. Now add half the quantity of tambdi bhaji and stir well.
5. Add the remaining bhaji to the pot and mix thoroughly.
6. Add ¼ cup of water and put the lid on the pot
7. On low flame cook the vegetable for about 5 minutes.
8. Open the pot / kadai and add coconut, sugar and salt to taste.
9. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes by then your bhaji is done.
10. Switch of the gas and your Goan Tambdi Bhaji is ready.
11. The colour of the bhaji becomes more intense over time.
12. Serve the bhaji with chapatti or as accompaniment.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.