In this recipe I have used Sardines to make Coddov but apart from Sardine you can also make this dish with Pork , Egg or any other small fish can be used to make this delicious Goan Curry. A few villages in Goa even make this dish with salted pork and dry fish.
800gms Sardines (cut clean and apply salt)
2 large onion chopped
1 large tomato chopped
2 tablespoon coconut oil
3 + 1 green chilies (3 chopped and 1 slit)
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin crushed
7 cloves of garlic crushed
¼ teaspoon Sugar
2 Tarvati chilies or Gaunti chilies (Red)
38 – 40gms tamarind soaked in 3 cups of warm water
½ Maggie cube dissolved in 1 cup warm water
Salt to taste
*** 1 cup is 236ml
1. Apply salt for the fish and set aside
2. In a kadai add coconut oil.
3. Add the crushed garlic and sauté for a while.
4. Now add the green chilies and cumin.
5. Add the chopped onions and when they change colour add the tomatoes.
6. As the tomatoes are turned soft add the tamarind water (all 3 cups).
7. Also add 1 cup of Maggie water (stock) and sugar to this and bring it to a boil.
8. Now add the red chilies and slit green chili.
9. At this stage add the fish and cook till the fish is done.
10. Check salt to taste.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.