Goenchi kodi / Authentic Goan fish curry
1 (Medium) Rawas fish cleaned and cut
3-4 petals of kokum
Small marble size ball of tamarind soaked in 80 ml warm water
2 pinch sugar
Salt to taste
1 green slit chilli (optional)
Grind to a smooth paste:
½ freshly grated coconut
6-7 kashmiri chillies
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon of turmeric
*** Used both tamarind and kokum in this curry very moderately to get the right balance of taste.
*** No oil is used in this recipe and no need to bagar / sauté onion and tomatoes.
1. Apply salt to the fish and set aside.
2. Grind the masala to a smooth paste.
3. In a pot add the ground masala.
4. Now with little water clean the mixer and add the remaining masala water to the pot.
5. Let the curry come to a roaring boil.
6. Add the fish along with tamarind water, sugar and kokum.
7. Adjust the consistency of the curry as desired by adding water. Don’t make it too watery it should be semi thick.
8. Add the slit green chilli if using.
9. Check salt to taste
10. Cook till the fish is done.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.