120gms toor dal (soaked in water)
Pinch of turmeric
Clean and cut in cubes:
140gms red pumpkin
2 drumsticks (cut into 2inch size)
1 green raw banana
60gms ash gourd
20gms snake gourd
20gms string beans
1 corn on the cob (cut into 4 pieces)
*** For this dish you can use 6-7 different types of vegetable, specially the once in season.
For Tadka / Tempering:
1 tsp cumin seeds (slightly pounded)
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 ½ tablespoon Ghee
1 inch piece of jaggery
15 – 18 teflan / tirphal / sichuan pepper
1 tsp coriander powder (optional)
For the masala:
120gms freshly grated coconut
4 – 5 Kashmiri chillies
½ tsp turmeric powder
1. In a pot boil the lentils with 2 cups of water and pinch of turmeric. Check salt to taste. Remove the foam that rises on top while boiling. Set it aside.
2. In another pot / kadai add the vegetable that take longer to boil and in 2 cups of water boil for 8 minutes on medium heat.
3. Now add the remaining vegetable and further boil the veg for 3 minutes. Please do not overcook the vegetables. Remove the vegetables into a bowl and keep the stock aside.
4. Take a kadai / pot heat ghee, add cumin followed by curry leaves let it splutter.
5. Now add the ground masala and cook for 2 minutes then add dal and cook for a few more minutes.
6. Once that is done add the boiled vegetables and stir (add coriander powder if using).
7. Use the vegetable stock to adjust the consistency of the gravy as you desire.
8. At this point add slightly pounded teflan, jaggery and kokum.
9. Stir occasional or it might get caught at the bottom.
10. Check salt to taste.
11. Once the vegetables are cooked your Goan Khatkhate is done.
Enjoy life, it’s delicious.