King Fish Molle /Moll
Goan Fish Pickle
1 kg King fish steaks
(Cut into Steaks about 0.8 cm)
¾ tsp turmeric powder
½ lime juice
Salt to taste
Masala to grind:
40-42 bedki chilies
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
20-22 cloves of garlic
2” inch ginger
1 ½ inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin
180ml vinegar (about ¾ cup)
*** First grind the chilies to a powder, than add the remaining ingredients and grind to a smooth paste.
1 tablespoon sugar
5 cloves of garlic chopped
250 ml oil
3 tablespoon tamarind water.
½ cup vinegar (about 118/120ml)
Salt to taste
1. Marinate the fish with turmeric, salt and lime.
2. Pan fry the fish steak for about 1 ½ minutes each side.
3. Don’t overcook the fish steaks it should be half done.
4. Keep the fish steaks to cool.
*** I have deboned the fish after frying. You can use the whole steak as is, it’s on your preference.
1. Add oil to a kadai / wok (medium flame).
2. As the oil starts to heat add the chopped garlic.
3. Once the garlic starts to turn brown add the ground masala.
4. Cook for a while and add sugar, tamarind water and vinegar.
5. Let this come to a boil. Now reduce to low flame.
6. Add the fish pieces to the masala.
7. Do not stir the fish regularly or it will break ( just once or twice if required)
8. Make sure that the masala doesn’t get burnt.
9. Cook for about 12-14 minutes and it’s done.
10. Check salt to taste.
11. Let the Molho / Moll cool to room temperature before bottling.
12. Use a clean bottle without any water/ humidity inside it.
13. Let the Molho / Moll rest in a dark and cold place for atleast 15 days before eating.
*** try and use a glass bottle / Jar or Ceramic pickle jars to store the Molho / Moll (Avoid plastic).
***At the end, add the oil from the kadai / wok on top of the fish pieces after bottling the Molho / Moll.