½ cup dry prawns clean and soak in water.
1 medium onion chopped
Small ball of tamarind soaked in warm water
1 tablespoon oil
Water as required
Salt to taste
Vinegar to taste (1 teaspoon)
½ teaspoon sugar
Masala to grind:
8-10 Kashmiri chilies
1 inch Cinnamon stick
5 cloves of garlic
½ inch ginger
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon turmeric
** This is fiery if you want to reduce the spiciness, then just reduce the Kashmiri chilies to 6 and peppercorns to 5.
1. Cut the eggplant into quarters or as desired and apply salt.
2. Sauté the onion in a kadai / wok, till it turns translucent.
3. Add the ground masala paste and cook for some time.
4. Squeeze the water out of the dry prawns and add to the masala, cook for 1 minute.
5. At this point add the tamarind and required quantity of water.
6. Cook this till it comes to a boil then add sugar and vinegar.
7. Add the eggplant and cook on medium heat till they are done.
8. Check salt to taste.