1 ½ Kg mutton
Masala to grind (check process below)
2 tablespoon coriander seeds
½ star anise
1 ½ inch cinnamon stick
2 black cardamom
2 Green cardamom
1 teaspoon Kus Kus
½ teaspoon cumin
16 -18 cloves
5 Kashmiri chilies
2 pinch of fenugreek seeds
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ inch ginger
12-14 cloves of garlic
1 large coconut grated
1 medium onion chopped
Ingredients to marinate the meat
1 ½ teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
Salt to taste
2 medium onions chopped
2 potatoes cut in big cubes (optional)
1 tomato chopped or tamarind pulp 2 tablespoon
2 sprigs of curry leaves (optional)
Oil as required
Salt to taste
Process of making the Xacuti masala:
1. Take a pan and roast the above spices in little oil or even dry roast would do (please don’t burn the spices)
2. Take a mixer and grind the spices first along with ginger and garlic.
3. Once that is done add little oil and sauté the onion and as it turns translucent add the grated coconut and roast it till it turns brown.
3. Now add the coconut and turmeric to the mixer and coarsely grind it.
1. Marinate the meat by applying ginger and garlic paste.
2. Take a pressure cooker add 1 tablespoon oil and sauté the onion till they turn translucent.
3. Add the meat and required quantity of water (1 ½ cup)
4. Salt to taste.
5. Cook this on medium heat for just one whistle ( 2/3 whistles if the meat pieces are big).
6. Retain the stock as you would require it to adjust the gravy consistency
1. Take a kadai and sauté one medium onion till it turn’s translucent.
2. Add the tomato and cook till they become soft.
3. Now add the masala and cook for 1 min
4. At this point add the potatoes
5. Now add the boiled meat and required quantity of stock (if you are not using tomatoes add the tamarind).
6. After 5 minutes add the curry leaves and salt to taste. You can add the stock as required.
7. Cook till the meat and potatoes are done.