2 large mullet fish (Shevto)
** Cleaned and cut
Coarsely grind the following:
½ tsp cumin seeds
6 cloves of garlic
½ inch ginger
½ inch cinnamon
18 – 20 peppercorns
½ tsp. turmeric powder
1 large onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped
3-4 red madras chilies
¼ teaspoon sugar
Small ball of tamarind in one cup warm water.
1. Apply salt to the fish and keep aside.
2. Add oil to a pot and sauté onions till they get translucent.
3. Now add the tomatoes and cook for a while.
4. Add the ground masala and little masala water (that you will get after cleaning the grinder / mixer)
5. Strain the tamarind water and add to the pot along with little more water if required.
6. Once the curry comes to a boil add fish, sugar and chilies.
7. Cover and cook till the fish is done.
8. Check salt to taste.
** Do not stir the fish once it’s in the curry, as the pieces might break.