Mixed Sprouts curry / Usal
Usal Konkani style / Moongache ghashi
250gms mixed beans sprouts
Masala to grind:
1 freshly grated coconut
4 large Kashmiri chilies
1 small onion chopped
¼ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
1 ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
3 cloves of garlic
3 green cardamom
1 ½ inch cinnamon stick
1 inch ginger
Small ball of tamarind soaked in warm water
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 large onion chopped
1 large tomato chopped
2 medium potatoes cut into cubes
2 sprigs of coriander leaves chopped
Pre – Preparation:
1. Roast the following ingredients before grinding – coconut, chilies, onion, cumin, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. No need to roast the remaining spices.
2. Add little water for grinding.
3. Boil the mix bean sprouts with little salt till they are 90 % cooked. Retain the water to use while cooking.
1. Add oil to a pot and sauté the onions till they turn translucent.
2. Now add the tomato and cook for a while.
3. Add potatoes and little water and let it cook till the potatoes are half done.
4. At this point add the ground masala, and after 1 min add the boiled sprouts, curry leaves and tamarind water.
5. Add beans stock (water) as required to get the desired consistency to the gravy.
6. Add salt to taste and cook till the sprouts and potatoes are cooked.
7. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot.