Goan sausage pulao / Choris pulao
2 ½ glass basmati rice (see pic)
40 beads of choris
2 bay leaves
2 inch cinnamon stick
2 black cardamom (slightly bruised)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 teaspoon ghee / clarified butter
4 ¾ glass of water (same one used to measure rice)
1 large onion chopped
1 Large tomato chopped
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and soak it in water for 30 min.
- Remove the choris from the casing.
1. Heat clarified butter / ghee in a pot, add the whole spices (bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns and cloves)
2. As the cloves start popping add the onion and sauté till they are translucent.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook for a while.
4. Now add turmeric powder and choris and cook for 2 minutes, stir constantly.
5. Add the soaked rice and mix well.
6. Pour the water and salt to taste.
7. Close the lid and on medium heat cook till the rice is done (takes about 20/22 min).
** don’t use too much oil / ghee as the choris will release its own oil.