4 medium size karela
Salt to taste
Oil as required
For the filling:
100gms prawns (cleaned and cut into small pieces)
1 large onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoon rechardo masala
Link for rechardo masala is in the below posting:
1. Scrape the outer skin slightly and cut the top of the karela.
2. Make a small incision and slit the top lengthwise to enable you to clean the seeds and create a cavity.
3. Take a pot with water and salt. Add the karela and boil till its 90% cooked, drain the water and keep the karela aside to cool.
4. Place the toothpicks in water.
5. Add oil to a pot and sauté the onion till they turns translucent.
6. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Now add the prawns and cook for another minute, add salt to taste.
8. Add the rechardo masala and cook till the prawns are done and the filling becomes thick.
9. Take a teaspoon and start filling the empty cavity in the karela
10. With the help of the toothpick close the kerala opening / slit ( you can also use thread )
11. In a pan add oil and shallow fry the karela till they are cooked on all sides.
** boiling the karela in salt water reduces the bitterness.
** You can also apply salt to the prawns after cleaning and cutting.