15 big limes (ripe)
2 – 2½ tablespoon oil
1 -1½ tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
¾ cup sugar
3- 4 tablespoon vinegar
2 – 2½ teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
½ teaspoon salt
- Put the limes in a bowl, boil 2 liters of water and pour in the bowl over the limes.
- Cover and keep this for 6 hrs
- Repeat this process 4 times.
- This helps remove the excess bitterness.
- Enabling the limes to cook slowly and soften.
1. Cut the limes into quarters, de-seed them.
2. Apply salt and set aside (lime will release juice in the bowl, use that while cooking)
3. Take a kadai / wok add the oil, once the oil is hot add the ginger and garlic paste and cook for a while.
4. Add the chili powder and sugar and mix well.
5. As the sugar gets caramelized add vinegar and turmeric.
6. Now add the lime pieces and cook till the pickle gravy becomes little thick (add the lime juice along with the limes).
7. Let the pickle cool for 3/4 hrs. before bottling. Use clean bottle without any water/ humidity inside it.
8. Let the pickle rest in a dark and cold place for atleast 25 / 30 days before eating (more the better)