Goan mango jam
3 large mussarat / mussarate de bardez mangoes
½ cup sugar (as required changes as per the sweetness of the mangoes)
¼ lime juice (about 8/9 drops)
** Cinnamon stick – optional.
**If mussarat mangoes are not available, you can use alphonso mangoes.
1. Extract the pulp from the mangoes.
2. In a mixer add the pulp and sugar, give it 4/5 pulse.
3. Add the pulp to a heavy bottom pan.
4. Add the lime juice.
5. Stir constantly to prevent the mixture from sticking.
6. Cook until the pulp begins to leave the sides of the pan
7. Check if more sugar is required and add accordingly.
8. Lift a little of the mangad on the spoon and tilt to see if the mangad falls, if it sticks and doesn’t fall that means the mangad is done. Takes about 40 to 50 minutes depending on the water content in the pulp.
9. Cool the mangada and fill it in a clean jars.
** 3 mangoes gave me little more than one jar.