300 gms flour (Maida)
3 big freshly grated coconut
900 gms sugar
1 tsp nutmeg powder
100/120 gms ghee (clarified butter)
Pinch of salt
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white of 15 eggs, we will use only 15 yolks and 3 full eggs.
- Extract 1.5 litters of coconut milk from the 3 coconuts.
- Remove 5 tablespoon of sugar separately for caramelization.
- The remaining sugar grind and make powder.
- Add powder sugar to the egg yolk and combine them thoroughly with a whisk to make it creamy and fluffy.
- In a bowl add flour to coconut milk. Take 2 tablespoon coconut milk and mix it with the nutmeg powder.
- Now combine egg mixture with coconut mixture and nutmeg mix, pass this through a strainer to have a lump free bebinca mixture. Add a pinch of salt.
- In a small pot add 5 tablespoon sugar and caramelize. Finally add 4 tablespoon water to the caramel and cool.
- Divide the bebinca mixture in two equal parts. In one add the caramelized sugar to get a nice brown colour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (on top heat / grill)
- Take a round baking pan, keep it on a stove top. Add 2 tablespoon of ghee ( clarified butter)
- Heat the baking pan and ensure the ghee covers the bottom of the pan (on medium heat).
- Add the first layer of batter (light batter) enough to cover the baking pan, let it cook on the stove top till you see bubbles and as the sides turn light brown. Now transfer the baking pan to the oven and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan out and apply ½ tsp ghee to the top of the first layer.
- Add the second layer of batter (dark batter) enough to cover the baking pan. The layers should be thin, so don’t add too much batter.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius (on top heat / grill).
- Put the baking pan in the oven (** leave the oven door slightly open, this might increase the cooking time by 4/5 minutes but it’s worth doing it this way , as the end result is awesome).
- Cook the second layer for 15 minutes till it’s cooked.
- If you see air pockets don’t worry, with the back of a tablespoon press the batter to release the air.
- Add ½ tsp of ghee and spread it over the layer before adding the third layer.
- Pour the third layer (light batter) just enough to cover the baking pan.
- Put the baking pan in the oven (** leave the oven door slightly open) and cook for 15 minutes till the layer is cooked.
- Repeat this process for all the layers till your batter finishes ( one dark and one light ).
- Once the baking is finished let the pan sit on the kitchen top to cool.
- Keep the baking pan on a stove top in medium heat till the ghee melts at the bottom.
- Run a knife / spatula against the wall of the baking pan to release the bebinca.
- Keep a flat plate on top of the pan and turn it over to release the bebinca from the baking pan.
***keeping the oven door slightly open helps in the marbling process and even baking.
*** Demolding should be done after the bebinca rest for 12 hrs.