1 cup of whole masoor dal (soak for 2 hours)
1 potato cut into cubes
½ onion chopped
¼ tsp. turmeric powder
½ tsp chili powder (more if you wish)
1 tsp garam masala
3 stems of curry leaves
1 tomato chopped
Little tamarind water
1.5 cups of chicken broth / veg broth
Grind to paste:
2 green chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 sprigs coriander leaves
1. Pressure cook the dal for two whistles with one Kashmiri chili cut in half and salt to taste.
2. Add oil to a pot, as it becomes hot start adding curry leaves and onion, sauté till its translucent than add tomatoes .
3. Now pour in the ground paste, cook for 1 minute.
4. At this point add the cube potatoes, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala. cook this for 3 min.
5. Once the potatoes are ¾ done add the boiled dal. Incorporate the broth and tamarind water.
6. After the dal and potatoes are cooked, check for salt and sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves.