2 large Mackerel (clean, cut and apply salt)
1 freshly grated coconut
2 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
6-7 kashmiri chilies
3 garlic cloves
½ tsp turmeric powder
Small ball of tamarind (without seed/shell/strings)
1 raw mango (if u don’t have raw mango use tedpal seeds also known as sichuan /szechuan pepper)
** Finely grind to a smooth paste: coconut, turmeric powder, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chilies, garlic and tamarind (you can also make pulp of tamarind by adding warm water and add later, I prefer grinding)
* make sure it’s well-ground to a paste, takes about 5 to 6 times with a run of 1 minute each time with breaks in the middle to avoid your mixer / grinder from heating.
- Take a pot add the curry paste (no oil and no onion required).
Clean the grinder with water and add the water to the pot, check for consistency as you require (thick /thin).
- Cook for 5 minutes. As it comes to a boil add the cut mango and after 2 minutes add the fish pieces.
- Add salt to taste. Cover and cook for 8/9 min.
* try not to stir the fish after adding to the gravy as the fish might break.
* You can also add 2 to 3 kokum