7 dry bombil
2 large onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
2 chilies finely chopped
3 cardamom pods
½ tsp Turmeric powder
1½ tsp chillie powder ( 1 if you prefer mild)
2 tsp coriander powder
4 tbsp. Goan / apple cider vinegar
1. Soak the bombil (dry bombay duck) in water for 15 min.
2. Now clean and cut the bombil in three pieces and shred them as shown in the pic. Drizzle 2 tbsp. of vinegar and set aside.
3. Use coconut oil about 3 table spoon in a pot, once it’s hot add the bombil. Fry till the colour darkens. Remove from the pot and set aside.
4. In the same pot add little more oil and sauté the onions till they are translucent. Now add the Cardamom pods along with the chili and tomato. Once they are cooked, add the turmeric powder, chili powder and coriander powder. Cook for 3 minutes and add the shredded bombil.
5. Add the remaining vinegar and cook till the water dries (I used two sprigs of chopped spring onion for a twist) Add salt to taste.
Enjoy – bon appetit